Saturday, September 13, 2008

Differences in Generations

Spirituality is something that changes and forms over a lifetime. My spirituality is still being formed and tested (as Kristin said, college at a Jesuit school can do that) whereas older adults seem to have a more concrete spirituality. Maybe that's why most of the world's famed spiritual leaders are old (the Pope, Ghandi, Mother Teresa), their spirituality has already been tested and is formed. They are also in Erikson's generative stage and are looking to pass on and guide youth in their spiritual journeys.


As I said before, my Dad enjoys "guiding" me on my spiritual journey. My Dad does not talk much about his spiritual life but is a strong believer in the Catholic faith. His faith is more pre-Vatican II though. That is, he is entirely happy with mass being said in Latin, the priest having his back to the congregation and talking about hell during the sermon/homily. I think one of his biggest complaints about priests (aside from the sex abuse scandal) is that no one wants to talk about hell anymore, no one wants to talk about the ramifications of sin. He and I got in so many arguments about this as well as the capital punishment, abortion and other issues. It enlightens me that my spirituality and his are both ground in Catholicism but are still sooooooooo different. He tends to think that Catholicism is the only correct religion, but I think all religions are paths to the same end (God, heaven, enlightenment...).


It seems like I've spent a lot of time talking about religion even though I stated before that I don't think religion and spirituality are equivocal. Religion is just the most obvious example I have with my Dad. For him, they are one in the same.


One of my favorite quotes of my theology classes happened in Dr. Carmody's Letters of Paul class. He was talking about universal salvation and he said, "Now, what is the gist of what I've been telling you? [pause] Other than heresy?" Anyway, for my Dad that would be heresy (and flat out wrong). But I think it's interesting, not rather it's right or wrong, but for the questions and challenges it raises; it provides an opportunity for growth.


I don't mean to imply that older adults cannot change, challenge or grow in their spirituality. Every challenge is an opportunity and maybe some challenges serve to deepen one's existing spirituality rather than change it.



"Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious
Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion - several of
them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts
his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the
globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and
heaven
." Mark Twain



"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need
for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple;
the philosophy is kindness." Dalai Lama

1 comment:

pixiegirrl said...

First of all I love your dog, anyone who posts a picture of their dog on their site is okay by me. Most of all, the Twain and Dali Lama quotes are dead on. Have all wars been fought because of money or religon or some combination of both. It is ridiculous. I don't know the answers and I certainly have learned to keep my opinions regarding religon to myself this being the bible belt and all but kindness, that's a religon I can support.
Sara