Well, I finally got the courage, or shall we say stamina, to ask my dad about his definition of spirituality. I told him I had been writing a lot about him in my blog on spirituality and older adults. So, before I begin, I have to say - his answer really surprised me.
My dad's definition of spirituality is - simply - one's belief in a divine being. Oh my god. How was it that simple? I was prepared for an hour of discussing spirituality, and he gave me possibly the simplest answer that covers almost everything associated with spirituality: morals, values, ethics, beliefs, because if one believes in a divine being then it guides one's life in these ways. hmmm....and, even more surprising, considering how religious I consider both of my parents to be, is that my Dad did not even think religion was related to spirituality other than as a place to express one's spirituality.
Now, I don't think this definition is true for all older adults, I think my Dad has a whole lot of Catholicism behind that simple statement, but I think it highlights the idea that sometimes the simplest idea or definition is the one to go with. While this is different for everyone, just as spirituality is, it is a guiding force in one's life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Is it not amazing how much we can learn from someone if we just get up the nerve to ask. When talking about ethical wills in class many classmates stated that an ethical will would only state what your loved ones already know but your blog is proof that is not the case. Sometimes no matter how much we think we know what someone thinks, until we ask we can not be sure. Enjoyed your blog. Have a great break.
Hi Mary,
Great blog and thank you for sharing it with us.
As I have previously stated, your father seems very wise. My last blog reveals my great aunt, who is 101 this year. She looks so much younger than her stated years and she has lost very little cognitive function. I described her as a simple woman who places her ultimate faith in God. Very simple.
No frills or thrills. Regarding matters of religion and spirituality, I like to keep it simple as well.
Kudos to you and your Dad and your Mom. I hope that you and your family have great holidays and I wish you the best in your professional endeavors.
Post a Comment