Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Erikson's Theories

Erikson has many theories on human development. For older adults this focuses on generativity vs stagnation and ego identity vs despair. These developmental struggles describe the social and emotional development in later adults. In the generativity vs despair stage, adults are trying to pass on their knowledge and memories to younger generations. Ego identity vs despair focuses on how adults come to terms with their life; they either view their lives as part of a larger context and are at peace with their lives or are in a stage of despair over their life. While these theories highlight the two extremes of adult development, they are useful in understanding development.

How does this theory relate to spirituality? Well, I think I mentioned in maybe my first blog about generativity and spirituality. Adults in this stage of Erikson's theory, in terms of spirituality are focused on passing on their experiences and beliefs with spirituality (my dad is a good example of this stage). Adults in Erikson's later stage are either at peace with their spiritual lives or look back on them with regret or guilt.

2 comments:

Republican4Life said...

I am a huge fan of Erikson so when I saw your blog I just had to read it. Over all I feel like you did a good job expaining the ideas. Due to my job experiances I have seen both the elderly both at peace with their choices or distraught over how things turned out. My husbands grandmother is a prime example for an elderly person who after reflecting on her life choose to give up and quit trying. In the end she died of dehydration due to refusing to eat. Our elderly are grossly misuderstood. I hope to read more in a later blog about Erikson.

Tay said...

The things we witness in life are amazing. I've seen an older adult experience stagnation and I've seen one display generativity. Needless to say, hopefully, when I'm older I will pass on positive memories to my family through generativity and not negative ones through stagnation. I hope I appreciate the life I live, with no regrets, and live it to the fullest, both peacefully and spiritually.