Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Religion

I've been thinking a lot about religion and spirituality lately and how the two relate. I was researching this (i.e. I googled it) and found some interesting information (from: http://cas.umkc.edu/casww/sa/Spirituality.htm). This article begins by discussing spirituality and aging. This, of course, requires a distinction between spirituality and religion. the authors pointed out that everyone has a spiritual component but not everyone is religious. It goes on to talk about mystical experiences of the elderly, but I think this distinction/definition is the important part of the article.

"Many people think that spirituality and religion are the same. Religion and spirituality may exist together, but as Twycross (1988), wrote: "Everyone has a spiritual component, but not everyone is religious." Religion is generally recognized to be the practical expression of spirituality; the organization, rituals and practice of one’s beliefs. (Davis, 1995). Religion includes specific beliefs and practices, while spirituality is far broader." (Ebersole & Hess, 1998)



My friend is a Masters of Divinity student at Notre Dame. She has Gustavo Guttierriez for a class on spirituality. I know to most of you this is not a big deal, but....Gustavo Guttieriez was kind of like a rock star in Spring Hill's theology program. He started the movement known as Liberation Theology that began in Latin America. It's all about bringing about change by immersing yourself in the culture and bringing about change by being one with the oppressed people (it's a lot more complicated than that but...). Anyway, his definition of spirituality is that spirituality is how one lives one's life. this encompasses ethics, morality, values and actions. I think it's interesting that even though he's this radical Catholic, religion is not a part of his definition of spirituality.





3 comments:

Mrs. Reynolds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Reynolds said...

Hey Mary Dooley. I just wanted to say your name. Anyway, this topic may be one of my favorite because I have a BA in Theology. Some have been shocked others not at all impressed. I am somewhere in the middle. What in the world does this have to do with you? Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who struggles with the "Spirituality/Religion" concept. Of course\, I think that I am religious and spiritual but what does that really mean? Yes, I go to church but I do not want that to be what people see when they look at me. I love who I am and what my spirituality has taught me. However, I would much rather be a carrier of the ethics and values that I feel that it supports and encompasses rather than one who is so religious that people are unable to cope with them or understand them. I will definitely be talking to you again. Bye.

Ann's Blog said...

Mary, I'm really enjoying reading your blog and just wanted to add one of my experiences. When I retired several years ago, one of my objectives was to be more active at my church, on an adult level. I had always helped with religious education classes, vacation bible school and youth group, but wanted to hang out with the grownups. Well, I stated going to mass during the week and begin to observe that all the "grown ups" were about twenty years older then me. It was too quite and the pace too slow. I went back to helping with the youth group and found other activities, outside of church to be involved in. I help with a horticulture therapy program and a program that advocates for the rights of the elderly in nursing homes and assistive living facilities. I have found that I can be of service to others outside of church just as well as in church. I really liked reading about the views of the priest who felt spirituality can be experienced everywhere.