...I wish I could find some theology behind Super Mario Galaxy since that's how I spend all my time now, but I can't...
I started thinking about this topic today when one of my residents asked me to define culture. I included spirituality/religious beliefs in my definition. So, he then asked me how my environment defined who I am. What interested me is the difference in the view of aging and spirituality across cultures. In some cultures, such as India, the aging and elderly are held in respect by society and viewed as wise. However, in some cultures, such as America, we do not respect the elderly or connect this with a specific spiritual phase; the elderly are viewed more as doddering and boring.
I really like the idea of venerating old age as a time of wisdom and greater spirituality; however, I think it's also important not to get carried away with this idea. I think Dumbledore, in one of the first Harry Potter books, got pretty close to the truth when he said something along the lines of the only weakness of old age is that it forgets what youth feels like. However, it is also from teh experiences (and mistakes) of youth, or any time in life, that one grows in all areas of one's life - not just spiritually.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your right American culture do view aging people as boreing, compared to other countries that respect their elderly more. It is the eperiences when we are younger that allow us to grow and become wiser. As a country we need to pay closer attention to our elderly people.
Post a Comment