Private Practice premiered last Wednesday and I was going to write about this last week....but....my internet stopped working (again). Anyway, this premiere had a great example of an ethical dilemma. Addison's best friend is a doctor and kind of like a CEO of this private practice; her friend confided in her that she had somehow lost all of the company's money. So, the dilemma for Addison was whether to keep her mouth shut or to tell the head Doctor guy. She ended up telling and doing what was right for the company, in doing so, she seems to have lost her best friend. Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting dilemma to have and it kind of got me thinking about what I would have done in that situation. I don't have an answer for that right now, but I probably would have told on her as well.
In other news, I got to pass on one of my dad's favorite lectures to one of my residents last week. She did not want to go to "drug class"/outpatient rehab at the Bridge. So, I got to pass on the not everyone gets to do what they want all the time, doing things you don't want to do makes you a stronger person speech. She laughed, especially when I told her how much I hated getting the speech (even though he was right), but I think it got to her. I told my dad about this and he said he was going to make WWDD bracelets - what would dad do (insert eye roll)
Anyway, my dad somehow related doing what you don't want to do to building willpower to building morals and values and religion (not spirituality) - that was where the wwdd bracelets came in.
Also, this is kind of a personal sidenote - if anyone knows of anyone that is hiring for case manager like jobs please let me know, I had to transfer to Wilmer and my coworker is horrendous. I guess this also kind of relates to the doing what you don't want to do theme...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Doing what we don’t want to do may build character but it has often made me angry. The notion that what does not kill you will make you stronger has not always worked out well for me either. However, having said all of that, what works for some may or may not work for others. I believe we all have to find our own way and seeking good counsel is wise. Seeking counsel is not about accepting advice; it is seeking counsel in order to make a better decision. To each his own. Rex
Post a Comment